Christopher

Multisession Blu-Ray - cannot continue a session, unable to close disc?

I've used CDBurnerXP for ages so was understandably delighted to find it also had fairly mature Blu-Ray capabilities.

I burned a bunch of discs with backups of hard drive contents; some DAO, but some multisession - my aim was to fill the remainder of each disc with more files later, then close the discs.

I returned to read a multisession disc, burned as UDF 2.50, which I'd deliberately left open in CDBurnerXP -- to find Windows can't read it (though it can see the space has been used)! CDBXP reports:

"The session cannot be imported, because the session's file system is not supported. The continuation of multisession discs is only possible for discs burned by CDBurnerXP."

StarBurn.log here.

These discs were burned with a slightly earlier CDBXP version (4.5.4.5000), but when I attempted to continue the multisession disc (to close it!) with that version it crashed to desktop immediately.

As expected, DAO discs which CDBXP finalised at the end all burned and read OK, with a variety of UDF versions... (1.02, 2.01, 2.50..) But my multisession discs are all unreadable / uncloseable.

OS is Windows 7 x64, burner is an LG BH10LS30 with Verbatim LTH 25 GB media. Never mind potentially coastering 20 discs, but the potential loss of hundreds of gigs of irreplaceable data is a bit of a downer :wink: And I even let the initial session burns verify afterwards, they all worked fine!

(Aside from this, CDBXP remains my firm favourite burning software!)

Did you already have UDF 2.5 selected in the compilation window before you tried to import the previous session? Also, a screenshot of the disc info window would be nice for additional info.

I'm not sure I have the ability to choose my filesystem before CDBXP asks whether I wish to import the previous session -- I choose new Data burn, it immediately prompts for whether I wish to continue my session or start new and ignore the existing session. I hit continue, and it then gives me the "The session cannot be imported, because the session's file system is not supported" error message.

If I cancel that out, go to "Disc -> Change File System" and change it to any UDF format (I've tried all of them!) then reopen the disc compilation, it doesn't work. In fact it seems to be reverting to ISO9660/Joliet after the failure to continue the multisession disc.

I've also tried by starting a new compilation with the disc ejected, setting the file system then inserting the disc - it always sees there's an open session but no UDF option seems to be compatible.

Disc info and drive info dialogs: http://imgur.com/ZGEuKlv,vCbWsKX#0

ZGEuKlv.png

vCbWsKX.png

OK thanks. Interestingly, the disc info also says "unknown filesystem" which is probably the root cause of this issue. Now StarBurn just needs to tell me why this happens.

Agreed :) For some reason the UDF filesystem isn't recognised - incompatible block/sector sizes? Bug in Starburn? Was the session not properly closed? I bet if there's a way to force the Starburn engine to interpret the session with a particular filesystem, we would have luck reading the data. I've not yet tried a raw read to recover the data, I'd have to investigate how I can do that. I suppose I might be able to boot to Linux and manually mount the disc...

I just hope I haven't lost the discs, I let CDBXP verify each burn so assumed they would read ok ;) I didn't manually check each one before deleting the files from my HD!

This week I tried to read the discs in a stand-alone Samsung Blu-ray player unit (which can also play files from data Blu-rays); the multisession ones failed with an unreadable disc format error. The ones burned as DAO worked perfectly, as expected.

StarBurn would be interested in a copy of the problematic disc (actually the first few MB of it would suffice), would you be able to provide that?

I'd be happy to provide, if you can suggest an appropriate technique to get a usable raw dump of the first few meg of sectors ;)

I suppose I could try something like dd in a Linux machine but I'd have to sort out a boot disc, I run Windows (and the disc is reported as empty by the OS...)

You can use CDBurnerXP to create an ISO from the disc, then use any file splitting tool to split it into multiple small parts and then send me the first one. Easy enough?

You can use CDBurnerXP to create an ISO from the disc, then use any file splitting tool to split it into multiple small parts and then send me the first one. Easy enough?

Hi floele

Sorry I didn't get back to you! I'll give it a try and see what happens. The problem I was having last time was that the drive / Windows wasn't even able to recognise a data structure on the disc, but I'll give it a try...