Sign in to follow this  
mm.ff

Burning 4.699.000.000 bytes seems overflows DVD capacity

Hi,

I'm using latest CDBurnerXP version (4.5.4.5306) and I'm trying to burn 4.699.000.000 bytes of data on a DVD using UDF 2.50 filesystem.

Unexpectingly, I get "Data exceeds the size of the media" message and, if I try to burn, a window with title "Disk required" appears saying "Required Writable disk 4,38 GB free (DVD) - Present Writable (DVD+R) 4,37 GB" and it doesn't allow to burn without overburn or disk spanning.

Why overburning is required if data is < 4.700.000.000 ?  Is it safe overburning ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi foele,

thanks for you answer.

According to the page you linked, the capacity of DVD+R I used is 4.700.372.992 bytes, which is greater than 4.699.000.000 bytes of my data.

With regard of filesystem overhead, I burned 4.699.000.000 bytes of data on DVD+R with the same filesystem using other burning sofwares (Nero, Ashampoo, ImgBurn) but no one reported data overflow and that is the reason of my astonishment.

Maybe they just overburn? Not sure. But I doubt they need less then 380KB file system overhead. In any case, CDBurnerXP won't allow it which is perfectly fine.