Wibs

Strange MP3 CD Behaviour - Solved

Hi,

I often create my own compilation CDs to play on my car CD player which also plays MP3 files. I have 5 CDs containing compilations of MP3 tracks (usually around 100 tracks), and after a year of listening to My-5th-MP3-CD I was ready to burn my 6th.

So I burned a CD with about 60 MP3 tracks on it, and the car CD player just refused to recognise that a CD had been inserted. I had burnt it without finalising. So I remembered that some CD players won't recognise a CD if it is not finalised, and couldn't remember if the previous CDs I had burnt I had finalised or not, so I binned the CD and burnt another, this time selecting the option to finalise it. This wasn't recognised either! I was using CDBurner XP, and I always burn as Data CD rather than Audio CD.

I checked the newly burnt CD on my PC, and all the tracks were there, and compared it with a known good burnt CD, and they appeared identical in format, except that in Windows Explorer, Properties, it told me that the good CD had 208MB used with 509MB free, and the bad CD was 'full' at 300MB. But something other than this was definitely amiss.

I searched online for anything that could analyse my CDs to see what differences there were between the good CD and the bad CD other than what I could see in Windows Explorer.

I eventually found CD&DVD Analyse on the cnet website, and downloaded it. Note: if you intend to install this be careful to uncheck the boxes that set Yahoo as your default search engine and home page, check the Custom checkbox instead, and also Decline when asked if you want PC cleanup, then the software installs without any PUPs).

This software analysed both CDs, and there was clearly differences between them

The good CD had two folders on it:

Session 1 (and under that) DATA TRACK 1 (UDF&ISO)
(Lead Out) 99896
All the mp3 titles were displayed in a second window.
The TOC button revealed that the track type was Data Mode 2

The bad CD had two folders on it:

Session 1 (and under that) DATA TRACK 1 (UDF)
(Lead Out) 153186
None of the mp3 titles were displayed in the second window! (but it listed 60 files)
The TOC button revealed that the track type was Data Mode 1

Now I don't pretend to know what the above differences actually mean.

I then decided to give Windows Explorer a go at burning the CD. I inserted a blank CD and up came the option to burn files to it. I dragged all my 60 MP3s to the blank CD Drive, and clicked the Burn option. I chose Data CD (not Audio CD) and let it do its stuff.

Windows Explorer does not finalise CDs after burning, and this was confirmed when I checked the properties of the newly burn CD and saw that there was still about 500MB free.

But I was still wary, as I already tried two burns with and without finalising using CDBurner XP, and both refused to play. I then did a check of the newly burnt CD with CD&DVD Analyse and it showed that DATA Track 1 now had (UDF&ISO), and the second window did list all the track titles!

Now out to the car with the CD, feeling very confident, and it worked!!

It appears that (in my car CD player) it does not matter if a CD is finalised or not, but does matter if it is (UDF) [does not work] or (UDF&ISO) [which does work].

I could not find any option in CDBUrner XP to choose between UDF and UDF&ISO.

Wibs

It appears that (in my car CD player) it does not matter if a CD is finalised or not, but does matter if it is (UDF) [does not work] or (UDF&ISO) [which does work].

I could not find any option in CDBUrner XP to choose between UDF and UDF&ISO.

Hi Wibs!

AFAIK —please, someone else correct me if I'm wrong— you can burn either UDF or ISO, but not both filesystems at the same time, at the same disc.

Look: run CDBurnerXP, go to Data disc, from the menu bar go to Disc > Change file system… and you will get a pop up window with an option to burn either as ISO or UDF —several versions. There's a link to, which takes you here, so you can learn more about filesystems. I suggest you to first try burning some MP3 files in a CD-RW disc and try different UDF versions each time, so you can check what UDF versions your car CD player supports.

Additional info:

This is from a 2005 Pioneer player's manual of operations, just as a reference:

CD-R/RW compatibility

• Compatible formats: CD-Audio, Video CD / Super Video CD, ISO 9660 CD-ROM(*) containing MP3, WMA, JPEG or DivX video files

(*): ISO 9660 Level 1 or 2 compliant. CD physycal format: Mode1, Mode2 XA Form1, Romeo and Joliet file systems are both compatible with this player.

• Multi-session playback: No

• Unfinalized disc playback: No

• File structure (may differ): Up to 299 folders on a disc; up to 648 folders and files (combined) within each folder.

Best!