Ian Ball

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040255

72 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm getting the above error.

It seems to happen on every second burn. If I close the program after every burn, I don't get the error, but if I keep the program open after the first burn and create a second set of files to burn, It'll give me this error.

I'm now closing the program down after every burn to avoid Windows XP SP3 down grading the dvd writer to PIO only mode.

I was using 4.5.4.5306 and I'm now trying 4.5.5.5569 but it's still happening. The DVD drive is Lite-On iHAS 124 E.

Thank You,

Ian

Just updated.... NOW, I can only burn ONE DVD at a time because I get the same message when trying to burn the second DVD. It works fine when I restart from scratch for each DVD...

I've just hit the same problem. After upgrading to the latest version of CDB on Windows 7 I get this 80040255 error with about every second burn. This was just a feeling before reading the above, but it really seems to be with every second burn. I'll try closing each time from now on. Is this issue still under investigation? Should I create a log?

I've just hit the same problem. After upgrading to the latest version of CDB on Windows 7 I get this 80040255 error with about every second burn. This was just a feeling before reading the above, but it really seems to be with every second burn. I'll try closing each time from now on. Is this issue still under investigation? Should I create a log?

@bolero, @Ian Ball :

Am getting this same error on CD burner XP myself, and also only happens on any 2nd burn attempted on the program.  I also updated to the latest version on Windows 10.

I wasn't having this issue before and thought it was related to my laptop being on A/C power.

Restarts and shutdowns of my computer helped (after each burn). Didn't think it was the program itself.

Any ideas on what may be happening?

I just got this for the first time.

Running version: 4.5.6.5931 (Latest)

Tried closing and re-opening and it still failed.

Just used it twice yesterday with no issues.

Guess I will have to use the TERRIBLE MS Win burner until fixed...

What exactly did you burn? A video DVD or just data? Do you use the "multiple copies" feature or are you burning multiple different DVDs in a row?

Hi,

Used BE14NU40 to burn several 25 GB mdisc, excactly the same problem, Second disc (different content): error

After restarting the application it works correctly

regards,

Maurice

On 3/7/2016 at 0:49 PM, mauricep said:

Hi,

Used BE14NU40 to burn several 25 GB mdisc, excactly the same problem, Second disc (different content): error

After restarting the application it works correctly

regards,

Maurice

Okay this will be a mess but I am just so happy to find someone with a very similar problem and the same drive...

I have been having the same problem with the same model, it didn't always use to be this way it seemed to start (and I'm kinda guessing here) when I upgraded to Win10 and at roughly the same time got a cheap spindle of Blu Ray media at Frys. I get this error and I haven't had a successful verification of a burned disk in months. Checking the disk shows files and they are usable. Sometimes after a burn the drive just disapears from My Computer, oddly enough this has happened with my laptops bult in DVD burner as well. But that one will outright fail while burning, on top of the disapearing.

I randomly get the above mentioned errors on certain disks, used to just happen on cheap ones here and there but now is also happen on Memorex 6x media which I have never had a problem with.

I've found some things, one in device manager I noticed under disk drives something called Initio Ini-3910 USB Device, removed this, restarted used a different USB3 port and now I don't get the disapearing drive but I still get the HRESULT error on maybe 1 out of 3 disks. I'm on windows 10 and trying to run the firmware updates, both of the ones listed on the LG site, do nothing. I can click and nothing runs.

If anyone has any clue whats going on I'm all ears. I'd love to save myself the 100 bucks another drive will cost me.

Thanks!!!

Drew

Same error on 4.5.6.6059

I was writing a common data CD. I open saved project. Delete some files from the project. Add some new files to the project. Change disk title. Press "Burn" button. The first one was written OK.

Then I delete all files from the project. Add new files to the project. Change disk title. Press "Burn" button. Burning failed.

2016-04-18_141027.png

It always happens only on attempt to write a second disk.

I save project file, enable logging in settings. Restart CDBurner. Open project file. Burn project on the disk I used in the second attempt successfully. Then I delete all files from the project. Add new files to the project. Change disk title. Press "Burn" button. And burning failed again.

StarBurn.log in attachment.

StarBurn.7z

I'm now getting this error too.

It did not happen with Windows 7 in May 2016 with the latest version at that time. 

It did not happen with fresh Windows 10 install in August 2016.

Just updated to latest version of CDBurnerXP yesterday, and it has started to happen. Every other burn will fail with this error, with the additional note that I have two cdburnerxp instances open (always have that arrangement) with the other one burning and the other one to plan a compilation.

Didn't find any logs in any usual locations.

Can't reproduce it so far. Would be great if someone could narrow down the actions necessary for making it happen (or not happen).

8 hours ago, floele said:

Can't reproduce it so far. Would be great if someone could narrow down the actions necessary for making it happen (or not happen).

Look for my post here. There are all steps to reproduce the error. I still can reproduce it.

Yes, I read your post but I cannot reproduce it. You could check for example if there is a difference if you don't change the disc title or if changing the title alone will result in the error message.

On 21.10.2016 at 7:39 PM, floele said:

Yes, I read your post but I cannot reproduce it. You could check for example if there is a difference if you don't change the disc title or if changing the title alone will result in the error message.

I can reproduce this error in 4.5.7.6389

1. Start CDBurnerXP
  2. Open existing project (with some folders and files)
  3. Insert DVD+RW disk in drive
  4. Burn project (Finalize option is enabled, Eject disc is enabled)
  5. Close dialog after successful burning
  6. Press Close tray button
  7. Delete a folder with files from the root of the project
  8. Burn project (Same settings) -> Error

Deleting a single file (instead of folder) in the root of the project on step 7 do not lead to the error on step 8!

Changing disk title do not lead to the error.

Edited by kot-da-vinci

I can't reproduce that. You can't really expect to work that though. If you finalize a disc, you can't burn more content to it. What you should get is a popup that says "the media is not writable, do you want to erase it?", giving you the opportunity to reset the disc to a usable state.

I don't get this popup. All files in project is about 80 MB. DVD has enough free space to write another session. In the bottom indicator of used disk space in the main window I can see used space from previous burning with one color and with another color space to be used. I can take a screenshot tomorrow.

And if I delete only a file (not folder) the second burning will succeed with no errors.

Edited by kot-da-vinci

On 30.10.2016 at 6:18 PM, floele said:

You cannot burn another session if you finalize the disc.

No, I can :)

Project file:

2016-11-01_091448.png

Burning options

2016-11-01_091518.png

Burned OK

2016-11-01_091757.png

2016-11-01_091820.png

Disc info:

2016-11-01_091925.png

Add a new file to the project:

2016-11-01_091939+.png

Burn again (to the same disc):

2016-11-01_092038.png

2016-11-01_092152.png

2016-11-01_092206.png

Disc info after second burn:

2016-11-01_092259.png

2016-11-01_092318+.png

What I'm doing wrong? ;)

The problem is that it says "disc is open: yes" after your first burning process. That shouldn't happen and is probably the cause of the issue. I suppose it works fine if you erase the disc before burning again? Or make a real multi session disc (keep disc open after first burning process)?

I am having the same problem.  When programming a data disk the first one burns no problem, but when I try and program and record a second disk I get a warning " Burning error occurred".  If i save my burn selections, close CDBurnerXP then either reprogram my selections or paste the saved file, it burns no problem.  It had not happened with the previous versions, but since the last update 4.5.7.6389/64 bit it does.  I've tried doing a thorough delete with RevoUninstaller Pro then re-install, didn't help.

Would using the 32 bit version help?.

My computer is a Windows 10/64/Pro cdburner xp.JPG

32 bit / 64 bit shouldn't matter, but it won't hurt trying. At this point I still don't know the cause of the issue.

Thanks floele for the reply, I happened to look in one of my external hard drives and found the previous version of CD Burner XP, ver. 4.5.7.6229 (64).  I uninstalled the newer version 4.5.7.6389  and installed the older version.  I didn't have any problems with it before, haven't had a chance to try it again.  If I do I'll post back here.

Version 4.5.7.6389 (x64)

1. Start CDBurnerXP
  2. Select "Data disc"
  3. Insert empty DVD+RW disk in drive
  4. Add some folders with files to the project
  5. Burn project (Finalize option is enabled, Eject disc is enabled)
  6. Close dialog after successful burning
  7. Press Close tray button
  8. Erase disc
  9. Press Close tray button
  10. Check disc info (see screenshot)
  11. Delete a folder with files from the root of the project
  12. Burn project (Same settings) -> Error

2016-11-10_095910.png

1. Start CDBurnerXP
  2. Select "Data disc"
  3. Insert empty DVD+RW disk in drive
  4. Add some files and folders with files to the project
  5. Burn project (Finalize option is enabled, Eject disc is enabled)
  6. Close dialog after successful burning
  7. Press Close tray button
  8. Erase disc
  9. Press Close tray button
  10. Check disc info (see screenshot)
  11. Delete a file from the root of the project
  12. Burn project (Same settings) -> Success (No Error)

2016-11-10_100753.png

Maybe this is the the cause of the issue:

2016-11-10_095910+.png

Yes, I click "Refresh disc" button twice.

I restart CDBurnerXP and it shows the other info for the same disc:

2016-11-10_102156.png