Ian Ball

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040255

49 posts in this topic

kot-da-vinci, thanks for your reply.  The problem I am having occurs with DVD+R discs.  I don't even have or use any re-writable DVD disks.  I use DVD's to back up my photos in addition to my ext. hard drives.

I had written that I had an older version, so I deleted the newest version, and installed ver 4.5.7.6229 (64).  Didn't help with my problem of trying to burn a second disk even though it was different data, so I uninstalled the older version and reinstalled the newest version, 64 bit.  Newer or older, I still had the same problem.

I think I was able to pinpoint my problem's cause.  After selecting to burn in the Burn Options menu I have it checked to 'finalize' and to 'Verify data'.  On the second disk I tried to burn, it had the error and ejected the disk.  I then reinserted the disk, but before starting the burn, I unchecked the 'Verify data' box.  After the burn started I was able to put a check in the 'Verify data' box.  It was then able to burn the disk, finalize it and verify the data.  I have no more data at this time to burn so I can't check further.

I don't know if I had said this before, but my computer is running Windows 10/64  Anniversary Edition and has all the current updates..  

@kot-da-vinci That shouldn't happen indeed. Does the information in the dialog update if you open the "burn disc" dialog? (Click burn in the data compilation window, then cancel.)

I finally had some more data I wanted to burn, so I tested my findings from before.  I had enough data to record some discs, so I programmed the first one.  I then burned it with the finalize data, and verify data checked.  Disc burned no problem.  I then cleared the compilation, programmed for another disc and tried to burn it.  I got the error and the disc ejected.  I unchecked the verify data option, reinserted the disc and got the same error.  I then reinserted the disc, with the verify data box unchecked, went back to the data compilation page, and was able to start burning the disc.  After it had started the burn process, I was able to access the burn options menu and recheck the verify data box.  It worked, the disc burned and verified.  

Are any others having this problem?  I do not think I had it before the Windows 10 Anniversary Update or maybe one of the other windows updates since then.  Never had a problem with CDBurnerXP before.  At least now I have a work-around where I don't have to close it then re-open to burn a second dixc.  

11 hours ago, floele said:

@kot-da-vinci That shouldn't happen indeed. Does the information in the dialog update if you open the "burn disc" dialog? (Click burn in the data compilation window, then cancel.)

No, information was not updated. It's still the same.

I recently downloaded the newest version 4.5.7.6452 hoping it it would cure my problem.  It did not.  I cannot burn two data discs in a row (with different data on each) without completely closing CDBurnerXP and re-opening.  The only two options I have selected are to finalize the disc and verify the data.  It is the same error I encountered as before, but now it doesn't ever help if I don't check the verify data until after it starts burning, it ejects the disc.  No matter what I try it will not burn the second disc unless I completely close the program and re-start it.  What I am burning are raw photos, CR2 files, to backup my external hard drives.  

My computer is W 10 / 64 with all updates installed, even the Anniversary Update.  I am using Verbatim DVD+R discs.  Once I restart CDBurnerXP, and select the files to burn, your software burns fine, no problems.

i am also getting the error... it is true, i bought the muller cds and dvds, but i NEVER had problems with them until spring. i have burned hundreds of them before a few months ago, when i saw the error for the first time and somehow i was able to solve it (i have no idea what i did) and burned some more cds and dvds in summer and even in the end of october as far as i recall, i was able to burn dvds normally, all from muller, with the muller logo on them, now even windows won't format them. not the cd, dvd-r and dvd+rw, all from the muller cake package with 20 in it. i was able to write some music just now on a muller cd with windows media player, but windows couldn't format it before i tried the media player. is it really worth it to buy a verbatim cd or a dvd and try to burn it? and if it does the same thing, even with the verbatim, is it the hardware of my laptop or something? i mean if the quality of a media is the issue, then how was i able to burn cds and dvds before, same cake package, same material and company and now i just can't with the same method, same computer, same package like at the end of october when i was last burning the dvds, everything is the same... i don't get it, if the problem is the quality of dvds i shouln't be able to burn a single one of the muller cds and dvds, not now not ever, i mean they were 20 dvd+rw in a single cake package for only 8€, you don't get that kind of a cake package of verbatim dvds for such a low price, but i've burned gazilion of the muller's before. what on earth is the problem then? :(

theeilaa, I do not have a problem with the burning.  It is just that I cannot burn two discs in a row without closing the program in between the burns.

Theeiiaa, A couple of things I would suggest, check in your device manager and make sure your burner is working properly.  Next I would see if your burner can play or read any discs you've made in the past?  Perhaps get a few of another brand of discs and see if they work.  If possible try another CD burner (an external connected by usb), see if that works.

played a few cds i made in the past, including the last one, same brand, same burner, worked just as they should... i checked the device manager, saw properties and it says that the device was migrated. anyone knows what that means? it also says it happened on 22. october which is pretty much around the time i burned the last muller dvd...

i also bought a verbatim dvd-r and tried to burn it and guess what: it was completely the same with this one! 3 min it tried to burn it, then i get the same error. it said that verbatim cd is not of a good quality enough or it is not compatible with the device..

any idea?

1 hour ago, theeiiaa said:

played a few cds i made in the past, including the last one, same brand, same burner, worked just as they should... i checked the device manager, saw properties and it says that the device was migrated. anyone knows what that means? it also says it happened on 22. october which is pretty much around the time i burned the last muller dvd...

i also bought a verbatim dvd-r and tried to burn it and guess what: it was completely the same with this one! 3 min it tried to burn it, then i get the same error. it said that verbatim cd is not of a good quality enough or it is not compatible with the device..

any idea?

I checked my device mgr, and my disc players said they are migrated, I do not think this is your problem.  I would check to see that the drivers of your burner are up to date.  Also I would try another burner if at all possible.  

If I were you I'd post your problem on another forum.  I have been a member of DPReview for a very long time.  It is a very reputable site, doesn't cost anything to register and they have a widely read forum for computer questions either PC or Mac.  There are a ton of very knowledgeable people there readily willing to help, 

There is also http://www.tenforums.com/ , or http://www.sevenforums.com/, or https://www.win8forums.com/,  

i tried to update it twice and it said the drivers are up to date, i also noticed the device is not in the hardware and devices, but it is seen in the device manager...

thank you, well at last i know it is not the cdburner. i like the program a lot, easy, cheap and fast to use.

so farewell then ;)

Unfortunately, StarBurn did not provide me with information about this issue yet. The latest version of CDBurnerXP got an updated version of the StarBurn burning library, but according to the changelog, there isn't much of a change to expect. I'll continue annoying StarBurn until I get some hints in regard to this issue.

I have an urgent need to burn some discs this week. Do we know, or has someone tested, which version was the last one that worked?

mtakala, the software works, I am just unable to burn multiple discs without closing the program and re-starting it.  You can try and see if you have to close the program and re-start it, if it works great.  Even if it doesn't and ejects the disc, it does not harm it, you can still burn to it.  I have found that I have to close CDBurnerXP and re-open it.  It will now work fine.  Before you close the program, you might want to save your programming, it makes it much easier to start the burn by just re opening CDBurnerXP opening the file you saved (your files to be burned) opening it and selecting your saved file.

CDBurnerXP works fine for burning, the problem is burning a second disc without having to close and re-open CDBurnerXP, which is just a minor imposition, but it burns fine.

I had the same issue while trying to erase and burn a MP3 CD via ISO...for some reason...the software does not understand the typical hierarchical tree structure; so all I did was just add the Mp3 files directly to the burn queue using the "+Add" button excluding any folders.

This worked for me...hope this helps.

SS.JPG

I had the same issue while trying to erase and burn a MP3 CD via ISO...for some reason...the software does not understand the typical hierarchical tree structure

Please elaborate. There shouldn't be issued with using folders.

Downloaded the new version and still encounter the same problems as before.  I cannot burn two discs in a row without closing CDBurnerXP and reentering the burn data.  What I mean is that even though the data to be burned, different pictures for archiving, I have to close CDBurner XP and reenter the pictures to be archived to DVD.  I have found that at least I can save my entries and upon CDBurnerXP's restart I can enter the saved lists to be burned.  I do not have this problem with Ashampoo of burning multiple discs.  When burning I have the close disc, and verify options selected.

I was hoping the new version would fix this problem.  

floele, I don't have enough data for burning new disks, but here are the files that were in my app folder anyway.  When I have enough data to burn, I'll follow the instructions of "enable logging" and get those files to you.  Let me know if these included files help at all.  

Errors.log

CDBurnerXP.zip

Floele, I finally had enough data to burn a couple of disks.  Here's the file that you had asked for using the logging feature.  Had to reduce it quite a bit as the original was 138 mb.  Let me know if it works for you.

StarBurn - Copy.7z

Capture.JPG