Ian Ball

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040255

52 posts in this topic

I'm new to the forum.  I have spent the whole day trying to back-up a year+ worth of photos, approx 10GB in total, onto my normal DVD+R discs.  I have used CDBurnerXP for years and love its easy, rapid interface.  But today, it rejected disc after disc, with the HRESULT: 0x80040255 message, then wrote one, then rejected a few.  I uninstalled CDB and installed the latest verssion 4.5.7.6623 and wrote 1 more, then it rejected all my discs.  I didn't think of repeatedly shutting down CDB and restarting.  What I did was load IMGBurn and this is not so easy to use but burned the remaining 4 discs one after the other.  I am running WIN 7 and have an hp desktop - very common setup I suppose.  So I concluded the fault was not with my discs or the hardware, but with CDB.

It is a great shame that the excellent CDB has been spoiled by what is definitely a software problem and after all this I looked to see if there was a forum and found this one.  It seems inconceivable that this problem, which haas been going for 2 years, has not been solved as far as I can see.  I know it is a free product but I would have thought the problem was a serious one and yet in all the reviews there is no mention of this awful fault.  So do we have to close down after each disc... for ever?

It has not been going on for two years, the issue is quite new. Unfortunately StarBurn is not exactly fast when reacting to issues so the fix takes much longer than I would like.

They promised to provide a fixed version shortly though.