Ian Ball

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040255

I'm new to the forum.  I have spent the whole day trying to back-up a year+ worth of photos, approx 10GB in total, onto my normal DVD+R discs.  I have used CDBurnerXP for years and love its easy, rapid interface.  But today, it rejected disc after disc, with the HRESULT: 0x80040255 message, then wrote one, then rejected a few.  I uninstalled CDB and installed the latest verssion 4.5.7.6623 and wrote 1 more, then it rejected all my discs.  I didn't think of repeatedly shutting down CDB and restarting.  What I did was load IMGBurn and this is not so easy to use but burned the remaining 4 discs one after the other.  I am running WIN 7 and have an hp desktop - very common setup I suppose.  So I concluded the fault was not with my discs or the hardware, but with CDB.

It is a great shame that the excellent CDB has been spoiled by what is definitely a software problem and after all this I looked to see if there was a forum and found this one.  It seems inconceivable that this problem, which haas been going for 2 years, has not been solved as far as I can see.  I know it is a free product but I would have thought the problem was a serious one and yet in all the reviews there is no mention of this awful fault.  So do we have to close down after each disc... for ever?

It has not been going on for two years, the issue is quite new. Unfortunately StarBurn is not exactly fast when reacting to issues so the fix takes much longer than I would like.

They promised to provide a fixed version shortly though.

Hate to rain on somebodies parade here, but the error which has been discussed for the last 2 years is there.  I've just downloaded it, excellent programme, would have been happy to pay for it, BUT, the error which is discussed on this thread for he last 2 years DOES exist.

What annoys me is that until I searched the net for the error message, I managed to knacker 5 discs.  After this error message the discs are damaged, when reentered the drive refuses to acknowledge their presence. 

Like everybody else here as long and I close all aspects of this programme it will work, like I say, an excellent programme, but if I had paid for it I'd be demanding a refund.

They should either fix it or give a warning notice with each download.

My machine rums on MS 10, is an HP Pavilion i7 with 4 gig of ram, and is very new.

As I said before, I can only wait for StarBurn to fix it. This process is painfully slow but that's how it is. In fact, it's working fine for me so it doesn't seem to be an issue everyone experiences.

scuse my english i speak french... 

when i use v4.5.4.5143 and i use file system UDF 2.60 i have 1 fail every 2 or 3 BD-R 25G ...

i have try 3 diferent burner, on 2 computer, 2 in ternal and one external usb...

the only solution is to select file system UDF 2.50... then now no fail for 20 db-r..

i have try the v4.5.7.6663 with the UDF 2.60 and now the probleme of fail is fix ... i have burn 10 BD-R at 6x speed ( 3 on usb burner and 7 on internal ) with UDF 2.60 and no fail... wooooooww coooool !

humm now i have 1 fail ...

maybe is because i have browse on youtube...

sorry i have close the log to fast i don't have copy paste the log... 

maybe the amout of data... CDBurnerXP tell me it have  39.69MB Remaining size but if UDF 2.60 create 2 toc one at the start and one at the end, maybe the toc is over the theoric 39.69MB Remaining size... dont know.. juste a thinking of for what is my fail... if i have another fail i will paste it... 

For relibably checking if it's working fine, you should probably disable logging because it is quite resource intensive.

Downloaded and installed the new version 4.5.7.6623-64  and am having the same problem as before.  Can't burn two data discs in a row without closing the app and reprogramming for the second disc.  I got the same message as I had reported before which I'd showm in my post on the first page of this thread.  My computer is running Windows 10-64 pro with all the current updates.

Downloaded and installed 4.5.7.6668, same thing happened.  Couldn't burn more than one disc without having to close and re-open your program.  Tried to run the diagnostic but the program stayed at preparing disc for 15 minutes, never did start to burn.  I ended up cancelling the burn and unchecked logging and was still able to burn the disc.  Didn't make a coaster.  I enclosed the star burn file even though I don't think it will help much.  I'll try again when I have some time.

StarBurn-1.zip

StarBurn is still working on it, intending to release a working version tomorrow. They usually don't stick to their schedules, but a solution is getting closer. 

floele, downloaded and tried the new version 4.5.7.6720 you suggested, same result.  I still can only burn one disc per session, same as before.  Got the same error message as before.  When I get the chance I'll try runing it using 'logging', and submit to you.  

Capture.JPG

floele, I'll give it a try when I can.  I am getting a blu-ray burner and won't be doing multiple burns when I get it.  Before that, I'll try and test the new version and report back. 

Will cdburnerxp work burning blu-ray?