john7

Norton is blocking downlods and flaging web site as Suspect

I have loged as a errer but Norton has to be disabled to install the program. The site is flaged as suspect caution in the Norton Toolbar. Needs chasing with them as many people will be put off the site/software with this. Sorry for spelling as I am dislexic

I have had this back so some one needs to get them to change as it will put many off using the site and black the program when downloded.

Upon further analysis and investigation we have determined that the software in question meets the necessary criteria to be detected as Potentially Unwanted (PUA) and will be reclassified accordingly.

The updated detection will be distributed in the next set of virus definitions, available via LiveUpdate or from our website at http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html

A PUA is a program that users wish to be made aware of. PUAs include programs that have an impact on security, privacy, resource consumption, or are associated with other security risks. These programs can show a pattern of installation without user permission or notice on a system or be deemed to be separate and different from the application installed.

For the write-up link, please refer below:

https://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2015-032308-2532-99

Norton Consumer users are prompted to decide whether to trust or uninstall PUA applications.

Symantec Enterprise users can remove this detection by adding exceptions for Symantec Endpoint Protection as per:  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO55204

If you require support with your Symantec product, please contact our technical support department.

Norton product support: http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/index.jsp

Symantec Enterprise support: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=home

Decisions made by Symantec are subject to change if alterations to the application are made over time or as classification criteria and/or the policy employed by Symantec changes over time to address the evolving landscape.

Filename: cdbxp_setup_4.5.5.5790.exe
Threat name: WS.Reputation.1Full Path: c:\users\keith\downloads\cdbxp_setup_4.5.5.5790.exe

On computers as of 
8/1/2015 at 5:11:16 AM

Last Used 
8/1/2015 at 5:11:28 AM

Startup Item 
No

Launched 
No

Threat type: Insight Network Threat. There are many indications that this file is untrustworthy and therefore not safe

cdbxp_setup_4.5.5.5790.exe Threat name: WS.Reputation.1
Locate

Very Few Users
Fewer than 5 users in the Norton Community have used this file.

Very New
This file was released less than 1 week  ago.

Medium
This file risk is medium.

http://download.cdburnerxp.se/cdbxp_setup_4.5.5.5790.exe
Downloaded File cdbxp_setup_4.5.5.5790.exe Threat name: WS.Reputation.1
 from download.cdburnerxp.se
Source: External Media

cdbxp_setup_4.5.5.5790.exe

File Actions

File: c:\users\keith\downloads\ cdbxp_setup_4.5.5.5790.exe Removed

File Thumbprint - SHA:
ef8f6001054e7ba992af4f04b12ce226a9b50c6d7e90da89010a5ae95fbd032b
File Thumbprint - MD5:
Not available

I have the same problems. The download of the file cdbxp_setup_4.5.5.5790.exe was deleted from Norton, because the file sould be infected with the virus Suspicious.Cloud.9.

The site of the forum was blocked by Norton. I've posted the message that you can check.

Threat Report
norton-rating-small-with-extras.png
Security Risks
Threats found: 1
Here is a complete list: (for more information about a specific threat, click on the Threat Name below)

Threat Name:

Just tried to download the latest version 4.5.6.5844 and Norton identified a threat "Suspicious.Cloud.9".

Has this been investigated, is it an issue and if not, why is it being flagged and is the company certifying it is safe?

Thanks,

Has this been investigated, is it an issue and if not, why is it being flagged and is the company certifying it is safe?

You should as Symantec these questions.

Symantec?  Really, this is your software that appears to have a potential issue.  I've used, supported and recommended this tool for years and this is the best answer you can give me?

Please search some old thread about similar complaints. There is no issue with CDBurnerXP, so I'm the wrong person to talk to in this regard.

This is correct for the versions, which include OpenCandy.

You are absolutely right - if people can't read then it's not your fault.

However concerning Norton and GData, the latest 64-Bit Installer without OpenCandy is infected, too. I've posted details here:

https://forum.cdburnerxp.se/topic/9762-total-virus-found-4-viruses/#entry38026

32-Bit Installer without OpenCandy is working fine.

I understand that the OpenCandy versions lead to the mentioned error messages with some virus scanners.

However, I thought the versions without OpenCandy should work fine. The 64-Bit version without OpenCandy 4.5.6.5844 doesn't.

Hm, again there is a Virus protection problem:

cdbxp_setup_4.5.6.5931_x64_minimal.exe is recognized from Norton Security as Suspicious.Cloud.9 infected. I agree with Rylex: Again and again (what is shown by the recurring issues here in this board) CDBurnerXP (NOT all the different antivirus softwares!) resembles to real malware. I can understand that Open Candy is a part of software which could be seen as critical, depending on how sensitive you are. But this version here is the Open Candy FREE version!

To say that this is no problem of the developer is a little bit too simplified. It is at least a problem of the antivirus manufactorer AND the developer of CDBurnerXP. That earlier versions are NOT detected as infected shows that something seems to be chanced - in CDBurnerXP and NOT in the Antivirus detection! It is about not less than the suspicion that this CD burning software contains malware! I claim that I unterstand the difference between real malware and heuristic detections and also I believe that your software is malware free. But everytime I have a bad feeling, anyway. So, it cannot be in your interest that this assumption is rumoring through the web.

Antivirus application have always occasionally detected viruses in CDBurnerXP, even before the inclusion of OpenCandy. False-positives simply happen. I'm not going to spend my time discussing this with vendors of security software. This problem cannot be fixed permanently anyway.