gibus92

Refresh only dates and sizes files in compilation

Hello,

First, let me tell you that this burning software is really great! Now, I have maybe a particular need since I searched in all the threads and the feature has never been discussed before:

Mainly I have my data organized as a tree on 3 folders levels, and I made a compilation without adding everything, since it would be too big to burn, and I want to only manage one DVD. Now. I would like to only refresh dates and sizes of already existing files in my compilation, without adding GBytes of new files.

Nero, that I owned before migrating under Windows 7, used to work like that. I well understand that actual update feature is more useful ... when you want to burn a music compilation without having to check any file.

Can i suggest to you to create a new feature, called "refresh only compilation" along with the "updating compilation" feature?

Thanks for your work!

Edited by gibus92

I am replaying again, since the site just crashed as I clicked on "Submit Reply". So I apologize if there is a double post.

Your answer seems to indicate me that you haven't understood my need. I will take an exemple: say you have a compilation with one folder and one file. However, the target folder holds 5 files, but you just want to burn one file. One day, you update this file, so date/time of the target file does not match anymore date/time of the file in the compilation.

If you burn directly a new CD, you will get new file content but with its former date/time.

How do I update date/time of the file in the compilation according to date/time of the target file? To my knowledge, there is only 2 ways:

- moving again manually the target file to the folder in the compilation window. This is a hassle with hundred of files/folders.

- updating compilation: because of the recursion, this will add back the other 4 files from the folder in the compilation.

Now I have hundred of folders like that. update compilation will add GBytes of datas. I do not want that.

Shortly: there is a need of another update policy which would only refresh date/time of all files already existing in compilation.

Edited by gibus92

If you burn directly a new CD, you will get new file content but with its former date/time.

I don't think this is true. In fact, CDBurnerXP doesn't even have the capability to do that.

Well you are right, I have burned another DVD and i have checked that the dates of the files are the same between the DVD and the hard disk. But what I say previously remains true for the compilation. dates of the files in the compilation window are not updated automatically. Date of files in compilation are the date of the files on the hard disk when compilation was created or is updated.

In a matter of fact, i should just ignore these dates and only care about missing files like before. I used Nero for years, and Nero update policy is an automatic refresh of the compilation. This is why I have made this mistake.

So sorry for the annoyance. Thanks again for this nice software.

Edited by gibus92

Hello floele,

Sorry for the late response.

Yes this is exactly what I mean about this missing functionality. Date / Time of files listed in file list compilation are inconsistent with the modification date / time of the disk files. Whenever you check the existence of the files, it would be possible to update their date and time in file list compilation in order to reflect actual modification date and time of files on the disk. This is an evolution of the semantics of the file list compilation that may have several drawbacks:
- Viewing file list compilation would imply change to the file list compilation as soon as a single date or time does not match;
- Original modification date/time are lost when file list compilation is backed-up;
- File list compilation can not be saved if the original media is read-only. So the user would have to cancel the backup at exit.

This new behaviour may hinder some users.